Travel, Accomodation, Parking and Registration
Where to Meet
The EITA-EITC 2012 workshops will be held at the rooms: (BA 1200, BA 2179, BA 3008, BA 3012, BA 3116), the Bahen Centre for Information Technology (BA), the University of Toronto's St. George campus (Address: 40 Saint George Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2E4).
The St. George campus is located in downtown Toronto, and it's easily accessible by just every method of transportation. You can get detailed directions on how to get to the St. George campus (or anywhere in the city) by accessing the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) website or calling 416-393-4636.
If you require parking during your visiting the Bahen Centre for Information Technology, the closest underground parking garage is in the Bahen Centre for Information Technology, located at 40 St. George Street. The entrance to the underground Parking Garage is accessible from Huron Street.
University of Toronto Parking locations are serviced by Pay and Display machines. The Pay and Display machines accepts both coins and credit card as a method of payment. Please ensure that you have exact change when processing payments.
Getting to the St. George Campus by Subway
There are four subway stations near the St. George campus (See the TTC downtown routes map).
- St. George (at Bloor Street and St. George Street)
- Spadina (at Bloor Street and Spadina Road)
- Queen’s Park (at College Street and University Avenue)
- Museum (at Bloor Street and Queen’s Park Crescent)
- Interactive St. George Campus Map.
- Toronto Map.
- Toronto Pearson International Airport.
- Toronto Transit Commission (TTC).
- Toronto's Union Station.
- Toronto Coach Terminal.
- Toronto's Weather.
How to Register
The EITA-EITC 2012 at the University of Toronto is a free event, and open to the public.
Registration for the event is now open. Please download and complete the registration form and send in.
Please send your registration form to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Deadline: August 15, 2012)
Wireless Internet Access at the St. George Campus
Meeting ID for the EITA-EITC 2012 guests:
Please connect to the UToronto wireless (Wi-Fi) network with the following credentials:
Username (ID) = eitaguest
Password = eitc2012
There are two options to access to the UToronto Wi-Fi network:
- connect to the Wi-Fi network named UofT, and then simply input the ID and password.
- connect to the Wi-Fi work named UTORwin, it will ask for password which is 'UToronto1home'. After that open a browser, it will be directed to a webpage, and then input the ID and password on the page.
Where to Eat
Mega Bites (also known as: BCIT Caf): located at the south-west end of the Bahen Centre for Information Technology (BCIT). This cafe serves Starbucks coffee, sandwiches, Grab and Go, salads, confectionary, cold beverages, baked goods, and soup.
- More restaurants/cafeterias near the Bahen Centre for Information Technology.
- Toronto offers restaurants and foods from all over the world. For a complete listing of restaurants visit: http://www.dine.to/toronto_restaurants.php.
The Recommended Conference Hotel
The following are the recommended conference hotels:
| Hotel Name
|| Price (Group Rate)
|Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor-Yorkvill
|| 280 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario M5S 1V8, Canada
||Single/double occupancy: $129.99 + tax
Triple/quad occupancy: $139.99 + tax
Group Block: EEC
|August 15, 2012 -
August 18, 2012
|Note 1, Note2
Note 1: Room Block Release Date: Monday, July 16, 2012
Note 2: Please download In-House Reservation Request Form - Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor-Yorkvill to make hotel reservations.
Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area (the GTA) are closely connected through intertwining subways, bus routes, bike trails and walking paths. The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is a quick, convenient and safe way to get around Toronto (Maps).
Directions and Transportation To and From the Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor-Yorkvill Hotel
- Distance: less than 0.59 MI/1 KM or less than 10 min to walk (Directions)
- Start from the Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor-Yorkvill hotel.
- Head east on Bloor St W toward St George St.
- Turn right onto St George St.
- The Bahen Centre for Information Technology, the University of Toronto will be on the right.
- Distance: 1.86 MI/3.0 KM SOUTH WEST to Hotel
- North on Bathurst to Bloor, right turn to hotel.
- Distance: 21.75 MI/35.0 KM SOUTH EAST to Hotel
- Hwy-427 S to Gardiner East. Gardiner to Spadina, exit Spadina North to Bloor, right on Bloor, hotel on left after first set of lights.
- Station Name: Toronto's Union Station
- Distance: 1.55 MI/2.5 KM NORTH to Hotel
- Taxi Charge (one way): $12.00 CAD
- East on Front St. W toward Bay St. U-turn at Bay St. on Front St. W Turn right onto University Ave. Follow Provincial Route 11A N Turn right on Hoskin Ave.Turn right on Devonshire Pl.Turn left onto Bloor St W / Provincial Route 5. End at 280 Bloor St.
4. Subway /RT
- Subway Station Name: St. George Station
- Distance: 0.03 MI/0.05 KM EAST to Hotel
5. Driving DirectionsLocated at St. George and Bloor, the hotel is easily accessible from Toronto's major highways. From the Gardiner, exit Spadina North to Bloor, turn right and the hotel is on your left after the first set of lights. From the 401 take the 427 south to the Gardiner or take the Don Valley south to Bloor, go West or right and watch for the hotel after St. George.
Toronto Chinatown (多倫多華埠) is located in Downtown Toronto, with a high concentration of ethnic Chinese residents and businesses extending along Dundas Street West and Spadina Avenue. (Map)
- Distance: 1 MI/1.9 KM or less 20 min to walk (Directions)
6. Taxi Reservation
- Beck Taxi: Tel: 416-751-5555, http://www.becktaxi.com
- Co-op Cabs: Tel: 416-504-2667, http://www.co-opcabs.com
- Diamond Taxicab: Tel: 416-366-6868, http://www.diamondtaxi.ca
- Toronto Airport Limousine Taxi: Tel: 647-893-7786, http://www.1torontoairportlimo.com
- Royal Taxi: Tel: 416-777-9222, http://www.royaltaxi.ca
- City Taxi: Tel: 416-740-2222, http://www.citytaxitoronto.com Crown Taxi
More to Stay
The following are the recommended hotels:
| Hotel Name
|Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
||123 Queen Street West; Toronto, Ontario M5H 2M9, Canada
Flying to Toronto
A. Pearson International Airport
1. Shuttle Buses
There are shuttle buses from Toronto Pearson International Airport to Downtown Toronto.
- Tel: 1-800-387-6787
2. Take Public Transit
- 192 Airport Rocket — this bus takes you to Kipling subway station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway. From Kipling, take the subway eastbound to St. George subway station. The 192 Airport Rocket route provides all-day accessible express bus service between Kipling Station on the Bloor-Danforth Subway and Pearson International Airport.
- 58A Malton — this bus takes you to Lawrence West subway station on the Spadina Subway. From Lawrence West, travel southbound to St. George subway station. The 58A Malton route provides all-day bus service between Lawrence West Station on the Spadina Subway and Pearson International Airport.
If you are arriving in the middle of the night or very early in the morning, public transit access is limited because the subway doesn’t run between 1:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. To get to downtown Toronto during these times, you can take the 300A Bloor-Danforth bus from the airport, which provides overnight service along Bloor Street and Danforth Avenue. We suggest taking the bus to Bloor and Yonge (which is minutes away from campus) and catching a taxi from there to your final destination. To reach mid-town Toronto, take the 307 Eglinton West bus, which provides overnight service to Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. From this intersection, you will be able to catch a taxi to your final destination.
3. Rent a Car
If you decide to rent a car at Pearson International Airport and drive to campus:
- Follow the airport signs that direct you to highway 401.
- Take highway 401 east to the Yonge Street south exit.
- Go south on Yonge Street for 10.4 km to College Street.
- Turn right onto College Street and then turn right onto St. George Street.
B. Toronto Island Airport
If you are flying Porter Airlines and decide to take public transit from the Toronto Island Airport.
- Catch the Porter shuttle, which will drop you off at to the north-east corner of Front Street and York Street.
- Cross to the south side of Front Street and enter Union subway station.
- Take the University-Spadina line subway northbound to St. George subway station.
Arriving by Bus
If you are arriving by bus, you can either take a taxi or the subway from the Toronto Coach Terminal or the GO Transit station at Union Station.
To get to the St. George campus by subway from the Toronto Coach Terminal, walk three blocks west along Dundas Street to St. Patrick subway station (at University Avenue and Dundas Street) and go north to Queen's Park, Museum, or St. George subway station (depending on your destination.) You can alternatively walk east along Dundas Street to Dundas subway station (at Yonge Street and Dundas Street). Take the subway northbound to Bloor-Yonge station. Then transfer westbound and go to St. George subway station.
To get to St. George campus by subway from the GO Transit station at Union Station, you can enter Union subway station and catch the University-Spadina line subway northbound to Queen's Park, Museum or St. George subway station (depending on your destination.)
Arriving by Train
All trains arrive at the Toronto's Union Station located at the foot of the city.
You can either take a taxi to the St. George campus or travel by subway:
- Enter Union subway station.
- Catch the University-Spadina line subway northbound to Queen's Park, Museum, or St. George subway station (depending on your destination.)
A. Sales Tax
Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax is 13%
B. Nearby Banks in Toronto
- CIBC: 595 Bay Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1M6
- Bank of Montreal: 763 Bay Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2R3
- Scotiabank: 79 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON M5C 1R8
- TD Canada Trust: 21 Carlton Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1L3
- RBC: MaRS Discovery Centre, 130-101 College Street Toronto, ON M5G 1L7
Hospitals & Nearby Medical Facilities
- Mount Sinai Hospital: 600 University Avenue, B 119, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5
- St. Michael’s Hospital: 30 Bond Street, Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
- Toronto General Hospital: 200 Elizabeth Street, Toronto, ON M5G 2C4