New Green Technology Research and Ventures
[Green Technology]: The field of “green technology” encompasses a continuously evolving group of methods and materials, from techniques for generating energy to non-toxic cleaning products. The present expectation is that this field will bring innovation and changes in daily life of similar magnitude to the “information technology” explosion over the last two decades.
The goals that inform developments in this field include:
- Sustainability - meeting the needs of society in ways that can continue
indefinitely into the future without damaging or depleting natural resources. In
short, meeting present needs without compromising the ability of future
generations to meet their own needs.
- “Cradle to cradle” design - ending the “cradle to grave” cycle of
manufactured products, by creating products that can be fully reclaimed or
- Source reduction - reducing waste and pollution by changing patterns of
production and consumption.
- Innovation - developing alternatives to technologies - whether fossil
fuel or chemical intensive agriculture - that have been demonstrated to damage
health and the environment.
- Viability - creating a center of economic activity around technologies
and products that benefit the environment, speeding their implementation and
creating new careers that truly protect the planet.