Travel, Accomodation, and Registration
Where to meet
The EITA-EITC 2011 workshops will be held at the rooms: (KCBD 1103 for the opening session and BSLC 008, 240, 218, 305 for the parallel technical sessions).
Building Abbreviations, Addresses, and Parking for the building (UChicago):
- KCBD (The Knapp Center for Biomedical Discovery): Address: 900 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
- BSLC (Biological Sciences Learning Center): Address: 924 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
Important Quick Links:
- Please visit Transportation & Parking for more information.
- Please visit Parking Facilities for more information.
- Please visit UChicago Maps for comprehensive maps of Campus, Hyde Park, and Chicago.
- Please visit Google Maps for all other directions and maps.
Wireless Internet Access at the UChicago
|Thursday, July 28 2011||meeting-hexi|
|Friday, July 29 2011||meeting-gupg|
- Please have your wireless device connect to the "uchicago" wireless network. That is the only network for which these credentials will work.
- Then start a web browser on the device and attempt to visit any site (e.g. google.com)
- You will be redirected to a registration page, where you will be prompted to enter a "CNet ID"
- Please enter the Meeting-ID for the given date (above) instead as the username and leave the password field blank.
- You will then be able to navigate to the requested page.
- Each Meeting-ID becomes usable at 01:00am lasts until 11:59pm on the listed date.
How to register
The EITC-2011 at the University of Chicago is a free event, no charge.
Registration for the event is now open. Please download and complete the registration form (DOC version), and send in.
Two ways to preregister:
• By E-mail, please send your registration form to: email@example.com (Deadline: July 26, 2011)
• By Fax, please fax your registration form to: 212-826-3615 (Deadline: July 26, 2011)
Where to Eat
Campus Dinning Service:
- Billings Hospital Cafeteria - Albert Merritt Billings Hospital, basement (Address: 950 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL 60637)
- Bio Café - Biological Sciences Learning Center (BSLC), 2nd floor (Address:924 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637 )
- Additional Campus Cafés
Dinning in Hyde Park:
- Chicago Chinatown is about 6 miles from the University of Chicago. You'll find some excellent Restaurants there.
- Click here to get the Directions to the Chicago Chinatown.
Where to Stay
Accommodations in the Chicago area can be pricey and very hard to find. To help you plan your visit the University of Chicago, we have prepared the following list of accommodations. Please reserve a place BEFORE arriving.
The University of Chicago adjacent to downtown Chicago offers an abundance of lodging choices, ranging from B&Bs and motels to luxury hotels.
The Conference Hotel:The conference hotels of this year (2011) is The Best Western Grant Park Hotel with following special rate (Wednesday-Saturday, July 27-30, 2011) for a standard room:
|The Best Western Grant Park Hotel
||1100 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60605
|$110 + tax
|June 27, 2011
- Discounted group rates are available on a first come, first served basis. Limited rooms are available at this rate so please book early.
- Guests should contact the hotel directly at 800-472-6875 or 312-922-2900. Please mention "EITC Chicago Conference Group" for the special rate at $110/night (single/double occupancy). $10 for each additional guest.
- Guests may also make reservations by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by emailing to the Hotel Sales Manager Ms. Tara Chadwick (email@example.com) directly.
- Chicago Chinatown is about 1.5 miles from the Best Western Grant Park Hotel . Click here to get the Directions to the Chicago Chinatown.
Additional Accommodation Listings
|Ramada Inn Lake Shore
||4900 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60615
||720 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60605
Please access the lodging guide for detailed information on the local accommodations around the University of Chicago. This guide is based on proximity to the campus and includes Web site links, rates, and contact information.
Flying to Chicago
There are two major commercial airports in the Chicago area: Midway and O’Hare International Airports. Although both offer access by train, bus, and shuttle into downtown Chicago, Midway is substantially closer to the UChicago campus.
- Midway International Airport is approximately eight miles west of the University of Chicago campus. Midway is easily accessible from our campus by public transportation, car, shuttle, and taxi.
- O’Hare International Airport is approximately 30 miles northwest and is also accessible from our campus by public transportation, shuttle, car, and taxi.
From Midway Airport (Directions)
Follow the airport signs to the CTA Orange Line/transit center. At the transit center, walk outside to the CTA bus terminal and board the #55 Garfield bus. The bus runs east on 55th Street to the Museum of Science and Industry. Exit at the Woodlawn Avenue stop (you will see a Starbucks across the street). Walk south on Woodlawn Avenue, heading away from the Starbucks, for three blocks, to 58th Street. Turn right on 58th Street, and continue west for one block to University Avenue, where you will see the main quadrangles. Utilize this map or look for the maroon and white UChicago flags in front of Rosenwald Hall, where the Office of College Admissions is located.
If you are headed to downtown Chicago from Midway Airport, take the Orange Line from Midway Airport, and then follow our directions from downtown to campus.
From O’Hare Airport (Directions)
Take the CTA Blue Line train from the airport to the Jackson stop downtown. Exit the subway and walk one block east to State Street. Then follow directions for travel by the CTA #6 Jackson Park Express bus below.
Driving Directions to the Campus
From Midway Airport (Directions):
From Midway Airport, go north on Cicero Avenue to the Stevenson Expressway (I-55). Take I-55 North to Chicago and exit to Lake Shore Drive South. From Lake Shore Drive, exit at 57th Drive (the Museum of Science and Industry). Go west and curve around the museum. Take the fourth right onto the Midway Plaisance and go west to the campus.
From O'Hare Airport (Directions):
From O'Hare Airport, take I-90 east to Chicago. Once past downtown Chicago, exit to I-55 north and then to Lake Shore Drive South. From Lake Shore Drive, exit at 57th Drive (the Museum of Science and Industry). Go west and curve around the museum. Take the fourth right onto the Midway Plaisance and go west to the campus.
Bus Routes from Downtown Chicago
- CTA #6 Jackson Park Express bus travels regularly downtown Chicago to Hyde Park. Catch the bus southbound on State Street in the Loop. Get off at 57th or 59th Street, walk under the train tracks, and continue west to the campus.
- CTA #2 Hyde Park Express travels between State Street downtown and campus during morning and evening rush hours.
- CTA #192 U of C Hospitals Express travels from Ogilvie and Union Stations downtown to campus and the University of Chicago Medical Center in the mornings. In the evenings, this route is reversed.
- Visit the CTA website for additional routes and schedules
Bus Routes Around Campus
- CTA routes #170, #171, and #172 serve campus and the surrounding neighborhood. Students, staff, and faculty may show their Chicago Cards to ride CTA these routes free of charge.
- View a composite map of all three campus bus routes (PDF) »
- Metra Electic District Line can be boarded downtown at the Millenium Park, Van Buren Street, or Museum Campus stations to ride down to campus. Disembark at the 57th Street or 59th Street Stations, then turn right to walk west to campus.
- Visit the Metra website for additional information »
Taxis & Shuttles
- Visit UChicago Maps for taxi company contact information and rates.
- Omega Shuttle Service offers transportation from Hyde Park to Chicago’s Midway and O’Hare Airports
Driving Directions to the Campus
The following driving directions are to the campus of the University of Chicago.
If you are using Google maps Web site to plan your route, the easiest way to locate the University of Chicago is to enter zip code 60637.
From Lake Shore Drive:
Exit at 57th Drive (the Museum of Science and Industry). Go west and curve around the museum. Take the fourth right onto the Midway Plaisance and go west to the campus. (About Parking)
Take I-65 N or I-80 W to the Skyway (I-90/94 W). Drive westbound on the Skyway, exiting at Stony Island. Drive north on Stony Island and turn left on 60th Street.
From the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94):
Exit at Garfield Blvd. (55th St.) and drive east, following the signs for 55th Street through Washington Park. Once you cross over Cottage Grove Avenue, the campus is on your right.
From the Northern Suburbs:
Take I-90/94 to I-55 North to Lake Shore Drive South. Exit at 57th Drive (the Museum of Science and Industry). Go west and curve around the museum. Take the fourth right onto the Midway Plaisance and go west to the campus.
From the Western Suburbs:
Take the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) to I-90/94 East. Exit on the I-55 North Exit and then to Lake Shore Drive South. Exit at 57th Drive (the Museum of Science and Industry). Go west and curve around the museum. Take the fourth right onto the Midway Plaisance and go west to the campus.
From the Southern Suburbs:
Take the Dan Ryan Expressway (I-94) northbound, exiting at Stony Island Avenue. Drive north on Stony Island to the westbound Midway Plaisance (between 60th and 59th Streets). Turn left onto the Midway Plaisance, and go west to campus. (I-57 travelers: Take I-94 east to reach the Stony Island ramp.)
From the Southwest Suburbs:
Take I-55 N. 5 miles to exit 292B, toward Indiana. Exit onto the Dan Ryan Expressway, continue for 0.6 miles. Merge onto I-90 E. Take exit number 57B towards W. 55th St./Garfield Blvd. Continue for almost a mile, then turn slightly right onto Morgan Drive. Morgan Drive becomes E. 57th Street. Continue down E.57th Street until S. Ellis Ave. Turn right onto S. Ellis Ave. Continue straight to campus.
For general inquiries, please contact us at:
Executive Secretary Office
c/o Ms. Doreen Huang, Investment & Trade Office, TECRO in the U.S.